Your cart is currently empty!
What is Ativan (Lorazepam tablets)?
Ativan is a white powder that is almost insoluble in water. Ativan tablets are taken orally and contain 0.5 mg, 1 mg, or 2 mg of Lorazepam. Certain inactive ingredients in the drug are lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose. It is a benzodiazepine medication, a Schedule IV drug in the USA, and hence has a lower risk of abuse. It can be taken by mouth or injected into a vein or muscle. Its duration of action is from 12-24 hours; the elimination half-life is of 10-20 hours.
Uses of Ativan
- Anxiety – You can buy Ativan online for the short-term management of severe anxiety. It is a fast-acting drug and can be used in the treatment of the fast onset of panic anxiety. It can reduce agitation and induce sleep, and the duration of its effects of a single dose makes it a better choice for the short term treatment of Insomnia.
- Seizures – Ativan or Lorazepam is the first-line treatment for convulsive single long epileptical attacks. It is better than other drugs as it has a lower risk of continuing seizures, which might require additional medication.
- Agitation – Ativan can sometimes be used as an alternative to Haloperidol (Drug used in the treatment of bipolar disorder) where rapid sedation of violent, agitated people is needed.
However, there might be adverse effects that could affect respiratory function. Apart from these Ativan is useful in sedation and treatment of Catatonia (abnormality of movement because of disturbed mental state), and sometimes it is also used in the treatment of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.
Dosages of Ativan
You can buy Ativan online. For best results, the dosage, and duration of the therapy, should be individualized according to the medical condition of the patient and his response to the first dose. To facilitate individualized dosing, Ativan is available in 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2 mg form of a tablet. The usual range of the divided dosages is 2 to 6 mg/day, but it can be increased to 10 mg/day.
For anxiety, initial dosing can be of 2 to 3 mg/day, which can be taken twice or thrice a day. And for Insomnia because of stress, a single daily bedtime dose of 2 to 4 mg a day can be taken. Dosages of Ativan should be gradually increased to reduce the chances of any adverse effects on the patient.
Though this drug helps many people, it can sometimes cause addiction, and this risk can be higher if a patient has a substance abuse disorder. To avoid the risk of any addiction, take this drug exactly as you are prescribed. Do not stop using it suddenly without consulting your doctor as this might worsen your condition. If used for a longer duration, this drug might not work well, so you might need to take a higher dosage.
Side effects of Ativan
Adverse reactions to these drugs are generally dependent on dosage; more severe effects occur at higher dosages. There can be side effects of Ativan, which might go away within a few days or weeks and might not require medical consultation like drowsiness, sleepiness. Contact your doctor immediately if you see any of these effects.
- Increased sweating
- Unusual weak feeling
- Trouble speaking
- Shakiness and unsteady walk
- Loss of strength or energy
- Rapid weight gain
- Weak or feeble pulse
- Tightness in the chest
- Uncontrolled movements
Avoid alcohol as a drug might react with it and increase the risk of side effects. Some of the side effects of Ativan might not be reported here, so consult your doctor if you feel any of the adverse effects in your body after you start taking this drug.